Wi-Fi Keeps Disconnecting and Reconnecting Windows 10 [Solved]
Wi-Fi keeps disconnecting frequently on windows 10 Laptop and causing users to lose access to the internet? Here is how to fix the problem and get your WiFi connection stable again
Probably, You have Wi-Fi router in your home, So, You can easily access the internet from your tab, smartphone and Laptop. If you have a desktop PC without Wi-Fi receiver availability, You may be using Ethernet connection. However, Have you ever experienced “WiFi Keeps Disconnecting and Reconnecting” problem? For Windows 10, 8 and 7 users, The answer is probably yes. But, It has easy solutions. You can simply fix WiFi or the Internet keeps disconnecting frequently problem.
Why Does my WiFi Keep Disconnecting? There are various reasons such as an outdated network adapter driver, outdated router software, and optimized power management in Windows 10 etc.
Normally, These types of problems occur more in old laptop computers. It is because of the hardware failure. In that case, You won’t have much to do. But, If you are facing similar problems in a newly bought or a good notebook/laptop or tab, It will be real problem. You may keep facing this wi-fi network keeps disconnecting problem. In that case, You will have to give your effort to resolve this unexpected issue.
How to Fix Wi-Fi Keeps Disconnecting in Windows 10
Okay, It’s time to do something to prevent wifi disconnecting issue in your windows 10, 8 or 7. Here are some methods which are reportedly known as working solutions.
Restart the router and your Laptop can help when the WiFi keeps disconnecting issue. This will refresh the device and clear temporary glitches that may causing unstable wifi connections.
You can check if you’re too far from the network by watching the WiFi signal quality on your status bar. If the signal quality is low, that’s a sign you need to move closer to the router a bit more.
Check for the Latest Driver Update:
It is the first method that you should try to resolve any problems that may be a result of driver incompatibility. Updating your Wi-Fi driver can solve all incompatibility issues which may fix the Laptop keeps disconnecting from WiFi problem. To update it, You can do the following things.
- At first, Press Windows key + R, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter. It will open the device manager.
- Then, Expand Network Adapters.
- Now, Right-click on the WiFi driver and select Update Driver Software.
- Then, Choose Search automatically for updated driver software.
- Follow on-screen instructions.
- You also should do it for other network adapters and restart your PC.
- Now, You should find Windows keeps disconnecting from wifi problem has been fixed.
Or you can visit your device manufactures site to download and install the latest wifi driver or fix faulty wireless adapter. It may fix wifi is frequently disconnecting problem in windows 10.
Modify Power Settings
This is our second effective method to solve frequent wifi disconnecting issue in windows computers. For laptops or notebooks, Windows has a power plan feature. Which works to save battery life which is also an important thing. But, Sometimes, It may have a bad effect. You may not get full performance from your PC, If you have battery saver or balanced mode enabled.
High-Performance plan is the way to get full from your PC. But, It can significantly drain your battery. However, In high performance mode, You may have less chance to randomly experience windows that keeps disconnecting from wifi. If you don’t feel comfortable with it, You can do another thing. Just, Disable battery saver functionality in wifi driver. It may fix any wifi disconnecting issues in windows 10, 8 or 7.
Here are the instructions you can follow.
- Just open Windows Device Manager using devmgmt.msc
- locate and expand the network adapter, then, Double click on your wi-fi adapter to open its properties.
- Move to the Power management tab.
- Uncheck Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power.
- Click OK and Restart your PC.
- From now, You should not face disconnecting issue on wifi.
Disabling / Enabling Wireless
This can be a temporary solution to fix wifi disconnecting issue in windows. Just, Follow these things:
- First of all, Disconnect from Wi-Fi.
- Then, Press Win + R to open RUN.
- Now, Type ncpa.cpl and hit Enter.
- After that right click on your Wireless adapter and then choose Disable.
- Again, Right click on it and click on Enable.
- Most of the laptops or notebooks have a function key to enable or disable wireless connectivity. You also can use that.
- Now, See you are not facing problem anymore.
In fact, This is a temporary solution to fix windows frequent wi-fi disconnecting problem. So, You should not rely upon only this method. Do follow next.
Reset TCP/IP Stack:
Now, Another thing you can do is resetting TCP/IP Stack and autotuning. In Lenovo support site, I found this method. It also can help regarding this Wi-Fi Keeps Disconnecting issue on Windows 10. You can use some commands to do this.
- Press Windows key + S and type cmd, Right click on command prompt and select run as administrator
- Then, Run the following commands.
- NETSH INT IP RESET C:\RESTLOG.TXT
- NETSH INT TCP SET HEURISTICS DISABLED
- NETSH INT TCP SET GLOBAL AUTOTUNINGLEVEL=DISABLED
- NETSH INT TCP SET GLOBAL RSS=ENABLED
- Restart your computer to complete this process.
- It should fix the windows Wi-Fi disconnecting problem in your laptop/notebook.
If the problem still exists, You can reset your connection settings by using some commands. It is very useful to troubleshoot any internet connectivity problems.
- Open Command Prompt as administrator like the previous method.
- Then, type the following commands and hit enter for each.
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
- Now, Check, If it helps to fix the Laptop keep disconnecting from Wi-Fi.
6. Disable IEEE 802.1X Authentication
Sometimes IEEE 802.1X authentication can cause frequent / repeatedly Wi-Fi disconnecting issue in Windows or any other operating system. So, You can try disabling this feature and see if it fixes the problem. Here are the instructions to disable it.
- First of all, Open RUN, Type ncpa.cpl and click on OK. It will open network connections.
- Now, Right click on your wireless connection and choose properties.
- Then, Click on Configured.
- Now, Disable 802.1X Authentication.
Note: You may not find this option. But, There may be similar options available. Just try disabling it and see if it helps.
Run Network Troubleshooter
Still experiencing Wi-Fi repeatedly disconnecting issue? You can try windows network troubleshooter. It may fix this problem. To run this troubleshooter:
- Simply, Go to Settings by pressing Windows key +I.
- Then, Go to Update & Security > Troubleshoot.
- Click on the additional troubleshooters link to display all available troubleshooters list
- Now, Run Network Adapter and Internet Connection troubleshooter. I hope this will fix your problem.
Try Network Reset
If you are a windows 10 user and experiencing WiFi keeps disconnecting or dropping out the problem, you can try to run Network Reset. It is available in the latest Windows 10 build.
- Open the Settings app using the Windows key + I
- Navigate to Network & Internet then Network Reset.
- Then, Click on Reset Now.
- It will reset everything related to windows network settings.
In many cases, It fixes common internet connectivity issues. So, It also may fix wifi disconnecting issue.
A Weird Method to Fix Windows Wi-Fi Disconnecting Issue:
It is really a weird method. So, I have put it at last. If you are using windows 10 or 8.x, Just enable airplane mode. Then, Only enable Wi-Fi. Except for this, all other wireless connectivity like Bluetooth will remain disabled. For some users, It worked great. They know more face wifi disconnection problems.
If you still encounter this problem, I would like to try to Run SFC or DISM Command. If the problem exists even after resetting windows, It may be an issue of hardware or your router. Try troubleshooting your router.
Also contact your internet service provider (ISP) to check if there’s a connection area within your location.
I hope, These tricks will be helpful for you to fix randomly wi-fi disconnecting problem in windows.