How to fix Realtek Audio Not Working problem in Windows 11
No sound after updating Windows 11? Outdated, corrupt, or missing sound drivers are some common reasons behind this problem. Here this post digs out some possible solutions to help you fix the Realtek audio driver not working issue on your Windows 11 computer.
Realtek Audio Not Working in Windows 11
First of all, restart your computer that refreshes the OS, and clear temporary glitches that may be causing Realtek audio not to work on Windows 11.
If you have attached external speakers on your Windows PC check and make sure relevant output devices are selected from the Windows Settings menu
- Open settings using the Windows key + I
- Go to the system menu, and From the Sound menu find Output.
- Go to the ‘Choose where to play sound’ and select a relevant device to play audio.
Update Realtek Audio Drivers
Corrupted or outdated audio drivers on your Windows computer are some common reasons behind this Realtek audio not working issue in Windows 11. Update Realtek audio driver to the latest version to help fix the problem for you.
- Press Windows key + R, type devmgmt.msc, and click ok to open device manager,
- This will display all installed device driver lists on your computer
- Scroll down to Sound, video, and game controllers.
- Expand the menu and find Realtek High Definition Audio on the list.
- Right-click on it and select Update Driver.
- Click Search automatically for drivers to allow download latest Realtek high definition audio driver from the Microsoft server.
- Windows will try to download and install the latest Realtek drivers from the web for your computer model.
Once done reboot your computer to apply the changes and check if the sound working on windows 11.
Reinstall Realtek Audio Drivers
I still need help, Realtek Audio Not Working? You need to uninstall and reinstall Realtek audio drivers from your computer following the steps below.
- Press Windows key + X and select device manager,
- This will display all installed device driver lists, and locate and expand Sound, video, and game controllers in the list.
- From the menu, right-click on Realtek High Definition Audio and select Uninstall driver from the context menu.
- Click uninstall again if prompt for confirmation,
- Open the Windows 11 Start menu and use the Power menu to restart the PC.
- The system will reinstall the required Realtek audio drivers during the startup process.
Alternatively, you can also go to Realtek official website to download and install the Realtek audio driver for your PC.
Restart Realtek Audio Services
If due to any reason, the Realtek audio service is not started or disabled in the background it may result Realtek Audio not working on windows 11. Let’s check and restart Realtek audio service following the steps below.
- Press Windows key + R, type services.msc and click ok
- This will open the windows service console, scroll down and locate Realtek Audio Services
- Right-click on it and select Restart from the context menu.
- Close the services console window and try playing some sound on your computer.
Run Windows Audio Troubleshooter
Microsoft offers a built-in audio troubleshooter to fix Realtek audio not working problem. Let’s run the windows audio troubleshooter and let windows 11 fix the Realtek audio not working problem itself.
- Open the Windows Settings menu using Windows key + I,
- Go to System > Troubleshooter > Other troubleshooters menu.
- Run the troubleshooter for Playing Audio and let Microsoft fix the issue.
Once the troubleshooting completes, Restart your computer and check if the Audio sound working on your PC.
Update Windows OS
If all the above methods fail to fix the problem, it may be a widespread issue. Microsoft regularly releases security updates with security updates and several bug fixes. The latest windows update may have the bug fix for Realtek audio not working in Windows 11.
Go to the Windows Settings > Update & Security and install the latest OS on the computer.