How to fix printer problems in windows 11 (Printer says driver is unavailable)
Getting Printer driver is unavailable Error on Windows 11? It means the driver installed against your printer is either not compatible or it’s outdated and the computer fails to recognize it. If your printer not working or unable to access your printer and use it to print jobs apply the solutions listed below to fix it.
Printer Driver Is Unavailable
Before moving forward we recommend Check the Printer USB cable is connected properly on Both PC And printer end.
Well If you are using a network printer Check the network and printer connection status, or manually connect the printer to your network.
Restart both the printer and your computer that refresh the device and clear temporary glitches that may be causing the printer driver to be unavailable or not working.
Check the printer for paper jam or low ink.
In addition Temporarily disable the firewall, Security software (Antivirus) on the computer and check the printer status.
Update Windows OS
An outdated Operating System is another possible cause for a driver is unavailable on printer error. Microsft regularly release security patch with the latest bug fixes may the latest windows update has a bug fix for this printer driver unavailable error.
- Windows key + I keyboard shortcut to launch Settings.
- When Settings opens, go to Windows update > Check for updates
- Windows will start checking for available updates and install them automatically.
- After the process is complete, restart your PC.
- Print a page from your PC and see if there are any changes.
Restart print spooler service
This is another effective method to help most users fix printer problems.
- Press Windows key + R, type services.msc, and click ok, to open the windows service console,
- Scroll down to locate the print spooler service, right-click on it select the restart option,
- If the service has not started, then right-click on print spooler service select properties,
- change the startup type automatic and click start next to service status,
- Click apply and ok to save the changes and check the printer status.
Run the Printer Troubleshooter
Windows 11 comes with built-in troubleshooters for various hardware devices—including one for a printer. Let’s run the printer troubleshooter and let it detect and fix the printer problem for you.
- Click Start and open Settings.
- When Settings opens, navigate to System > Troubleshoot.
- In the Options section, click Other troubleshooters.
- Find the Printer option and click the Run button next to it.
- The printer troubleshooter will start looking for problems and attempt to fix them automatically.
Update Your Printer Driver
If you have an older printer driver installed on your computer it might be causing a printer driver is an unavailable message on your Windows 11 PC. Let’s update the printer driver that usually comes with important bug fixes and feature upgrades and help fix such problems.
- Press Windows key + X and select device manager,
- Expand the Printers section, right-click the printer, and select Update Driver.
- When the Update Drivers wizard opens select search automatically for the driver to allow windows update check for the best available driver and install it on your computer,
- Follow on-screen instructions and reboot your computer to apply the changes.
Note: If you can’t select your printer driver files, your printer manufacturer may offer them with an automatic installer (usually with a .exe file extension)
Reinstall printer driver
There are chances, Your printer’s driver has been corrupted or lost other essential files. In such case uninstall every related software and install the latest printer driver back on your computer that helps fix the printer problem on windows 11.
- Press Windows key + R, type devmgmt.msc, and click ok to open device manager,
- Expand the Printers section, right-click your device, and select Uninstall device from the menu,
- When the confirmation window appears, check the Delete the driver software for this device option and click the Uninstall button,
- Restart Windows 11 to apply the changes—Windows should reinstall the correct driver during the startup process.
- If not then visit the printer manufacturer’s site and download the latest printer driver and install it on your device.
Reinstall Printer Driver in Compatibility mode
This issue might occur if the drivers are incompatible or incorrect. Try to install the drivers in Compatibility mode and check if it resolves the issue.
A compatibility mode is a software mechanism in which a software either emulates an older version of software in order to allow incompatible software or files to remain compatible with the computer’s newer hardware or software.
- Go to your manufacturer’s website and download the printer Driver’s setup (HP driver, Epson driver, Brother driver, etc) file for your computer.
- Open device manager using devmgmt.msc, expand the printer section, and uninstall the current printer driver from your device,
- If you are prompted to Confirm then click uninstall again and Restart windows to completely remove the printer driver.
- Now Go to the location where you had saved your downloaded setup files of the drivers and right-click on it select Properties.
- Move to the Compatibility Tab Place a checkmark next to Run this program in Compatibility mode and select the operating system accordingly from the drop-down list.
- Let the driver install and then check the functionality.
Did the above solutions help fix the Printer Driver Is Unavailable or the printer not working problem on windows 11? Let us know in the comments below.